Monday, August 11, 2008

the Olympics ...


my wife and I have been watching the Olympics tonight ... swimming and gymnastics ... some Phelps guy just won his 9th gold medal ... brilliant ... I think he's 14 years old ... the question is, are you a Phelps Phan? ...

anyways, the Olympics take me back to the days when I played sports ... my 'golden' athlete years ... this may be a shock to the blogging world, but I was quite the athlete ... Central Valley High School ... the high school of Champions ... baseball and cross country and tennis and pickle ball ... not to mention, I played soccer for Simpson College ... yep, those were the days ... the glory days ... back when athletic competition was more than a simply a pastime ... it was life ... back when sports wasn't about money and fame ... it was about honor ... before drugs and steroids and supplements ... I will never forget the 90's ...

and did anyone watch the Olympic opening night? ... fantastic ... props to China ... I've never seen anything like it ... children flying with kites ... that huge LCD screen across the stadium ... lights and fireworks ... that crazy segment with the moving boxes ... over 15,000 people dancing and singing and performing ... (way better than last year's 4th of July show at the Civic) ...

anyways, I'm in the Olympic spirit ... tomorrow, I will probably run or swim or throw a javelin ... and they I'll drive to Hollywood Video and rent that movie 'Nadia' ... amazing film ... back before the Russians invaded Georgia ...

1 comment: