Friday, August 22, 2008

awesome ...


I was talking with a friend last week and he said that he’s been talking like me … he’s saying ‘Awesome’ all the time … he says that’s my word … Awesome … I guess I use the word Awesome all the time … so much I don’t even notice it … I asked my wife, do I really say ‘awesome’ all the time? … she replied, “yep,” to which I replied, “awesome!” …

But what does Awesome really mean? … in my world, Awesome can mean so many things … in fact, it can get confusing, so here it goes …

Awesome means ‘that really sucks and I’m glad I’m not you!” … when someone shares with me that they’ve just been fired at work or they can’t pay rent or someone in their family is sick, I will say, “awesome” and hang my head low in empathy and understanding … try this sometime …

Awesome means ‘I don’t know what else to say’ … when it gets really awkward, either in a conversation or at the end of the Stirring 2nd gathering and I have no idea what to say, I will say, “awesome” and we smile and go our separate ways …

Awesome means ‘punch me in the neck and it’s not really awesome’ … when someone shares with me that they just got their girlfriend pregnant or that they are leaving the Stirring to go to a ‘real church’ or that they just robbed a bank, I will say ‘awesome’ and punch myself in the neck …

Awesome means ‘I’m not really listening but I want you to think I’m listening’ … sometimes I don’t listen well … I’m working on it … but in the meantime, when someone is telling me something really important and I’m tuning out, I will say “awesome,” which means I really love you but I’m having trouble listening right now … this one doesn’t work well with my wife, Erica …

Finally, Awesome means ‘awesome’ … when something is truly awesome, I will say, “awesome!” … what else would I say? …

5 comments:

JUAN said...

what's cool is.. I can tell what kind of "awesome" you are using by looking at which direction your foe-hawk is pointing....Which is your secret power if you were in Heroes...

JUAN said...

You're awesome Nate!

Kari said...

Was it the person Brad Hurn?

idiot said...

You are our super hero, we'll call you...Awesome.
You may say it unknowingly, which is awesome.

jered said...

I've been saying "rad" a lot lately.