Thursday, July 17, 2008

sucking air bubbles ...


growing up, my brothers and I loved vacation ...

every year, my parents would take us down to San Clemente ... because my father was the pastor of a mega-church, our vacations became super important for us as a family ... and probably my favorite memories growing up ...

one year, Jeremy and I spent hours every night in the San Clemente hot tub ... just hanging out and laughing and meeting new people every night ...

if you think about it, hot tubbing is kinda weird ... you're sitting in a circle in hot water with a bunch of people you've just met ... you're all facing each other ... bubbles are floating all around ... and there's some creepy guy with too much hair on his back ... and a young couple making out and touching under the water ... and old people just sit there glaring and silently judging ... and everyone's making small talk ... jets massaging your lower back ... just weird, and yet we love it ... who doesn't love a good hot tubbing with complete and creepy strangers ...

and so Jeremy and I lived in the hot tub ... and one night, we discovered something ... that you could go under water and 'suck air bubbles' from these small holes on the floor of the hot tub ... so we did it ... in fact, we could stay under water 'sucking air bubbles' for almost 10 minutes straight ...

so we played a joke on people ... late at night, Jeremy and I would disappear under the dark water 'sucking air bubbles' until we heard someone stepping into the hot tub ... once they were in the tub and settled, we would jump out of the water together ... screaming and flailing our arms ... like sea monsters emerging from a dark creepy lagoon ... you get the picture ... and people were just terrified ... and then we'd all laugh and talk about nothing and everything ... hot tub style ...

4 days left ... and we'll be on vacation in San Clemente ... Jeremy and I back in that hot tub ... 'sucking on bubbles' under water and teaching Ava and Adiah to 'suck on bubbles' under water ... I love vacation ...

3 comments:

Candace said...

Okay, I hate to be Debbie Downer but please don't teach Ava and Adiah to do that. I heard about a girl who did that and got her caught in something and couldn't get out. Could be an urban legend, could be true. Either way...

Candace said...

I'm sure you were probably joking about teaching them to do that. Knowing you...

Anna said...

That's hilarious, I can totally picture the people freaking out! However I don't even want to think about how incredibly unsanitary that is... gross!!!