Tuesday, July 15, 2008

5 days left ...


yep, 5 days left until summer vacation ...

every year, Erica and I take the family down to the beach at San Clemente ... it's an hour from San Diego and an hour from Disneyland ... it's perfect ... the beach ... hot tubs ... margaritas (of course, virgin margaritas just in case my dad reads this blog, or anyone who struggles with hard core alcohol) ... and skunks ... our kids love skunks ... one year, one of the skunks attacked Ava ... so I stabbed it with a shovel ...

I can't wait to take the kids to Disneyland ... I get to 'relive' it all over again ... star tours and space mountain and the Tiki Tiki Room and the people mover ... Disneyland is the greatest place on earth, besides Maui and Switzerland and of course, the Bethel Prayer Chapel ...

my favorite ride has always been the Pirates of the Caribbean ... when I was a kid, we would go on the pirates ride again and again ... my dad and jeremy and benji and I ... just pretending we were pirates ...

in fact, I taught the pirate song to my daughters and we sing it at night ... yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me ... Ava and Adiah are excited to go on Pirates of the Caribbean, but I can tell they are a bit terrified ... they keep asking me, "are the pirates real?" ... to which I reply, "of course they're real! It's Disneyland" ... and I can see the excitement/terror in their eyes ...

so, I was thinking that I could play a little joke on them ... half way through the pirates ride, I'll begin screaming ... and I'll throw myself out of the boat into the water ... and I'll pretend that the Pirates are dragging me away to their ship ... and as the Pirates drag me away, I'll yell back to my daugthers, "take care of your mother and never forget how much I love you!" ...

11 comments:

rev rock said...

you suck dude...it's 6:39am and my whole house is asleep. I had to hold back a crazy laugh right now and it made my stomach hurt.

JUAN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JUAN said...

I think this will somehow return to bite you down the road.. but for the sake of the "shock factor" you are trying to lay out there..............I DARE YOU.

Rosetta Borgic said...

You are totally one of those dads. Poor kids. I agree with Juan. These kinds of things will definitely come back to haunt you. I hope that you will blog about so we can say I told you so.

Klein said...

I find it funny, that this post has been up for a few hours and you already have 5 responses, and yet your spiritual post has been up for 3 days and only one response.

Just an observation

Candace said...

What is a spiritual post? (love you, John.)

I'm sad that we won't be joining you for the adventure. :( I really wish it could have worked out.

The Beaverette said...

As a veteran mom I will give you my sage advice on your choice of terror torture you are pending for your children...... DO IT! So do it there are enough safe, by the rule parents whose kids will never remember anything but that they followed the rules. They will laugh many a day over the day dad was lost to the pirates!

Meghan said...

hopefully we'll be in the boat behind you to see it all. if need be, we'll back up your story to the girls with shocked facial expressions and pointing. jeremy can jump out of the boat and tackle a few pirates for a good effect.

Klein said...

Your right Candance. Everything Spiritual (Rob Bell). At least thats how the Jews saw everything back then.

Although,sadly, the don't see it like that anymore.

Out

Shannon said...

hilarious.....Poor Erica....Poor Erica!

trisha loves to paint said...

omg nate...thanks for being the funniest guy i've ever known!