Monday, July 7, 2008

the shack ...


so, it's my day off ... I woke up at 9 o'clock ... ate a delicious piece of toast with crunchy peanut butter ...

I spent an hour at the gym ... normally, when I work out, I try to wear one of those tight shirts ... the tighter the shirt, the bigger I look in those gym mirrors ... but this morning I wore one of those baggy work out t-shirts ... it's just not the same ...

last night, my friend Kendall gave me this book 'the Shack' ... I told him I probably wouldn't ever read it ... I hardly ever read novels, except books like 'Lord of the Rings' and 'the Count of Monte Cristo' (which happens to be the best novel of all time and the worst movie based on a novel) ... to which Kendall replied, "you're a pastor, you must read the Shack" ... whatever that means ... and he loaned me his copy ...

so, after the gym, I busted out 'the Shack' ... I've read the first 8 chapters ... I was expecting some love story set in the late 1800's on a Missouri Ranch ... like every other Christian novel ... it's actually quite different ... it's not even set on a ranch ...

anyways, I'm not sure what I think about the book ... it's like a mix between the Matrix and the Wizard of Oz ... I must read on ... I'll let you know when I finish ...

9 comments:

Becky Moseley said...

I have to say I really liked "The Shack". You have to read it with a grain of salt and remind yourself that the claims made are merely the thoughts and beliefs of the author. Not really scriptural. But it paints God in a light that was new to me and I found myself appreciating a loving God, rather than the works-based God I grew up with. It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts on it...

JUAN said...

we're reading the same book...

I feel like I'm on drugs....... haha

jered said...

Make sure and give a spoiler warning if you are going to do so. We were just given a copy of the book, as well.

Josh H. said...

i am not really into it...but i am no fun anyways. i feel that there might be some good things to glean from it but i found it misrepresenting Biblical truths regarding redemption and salvation, forgiveness and free will. did anyone else think the under current was one that downplayed the importance of the Bible? i'm not looking to start arguments...the book rubbed me the wrong way.

hannahrae said...

That's the next book on my summer reading list!

After I finish Irrestable Revolution.

Shannon said...

I loved this book....I can't wait to see what you think!

Josh H. said...

did you love it because it is "great literature" because i can't argue with that. loving it for some new "perspective" on God is what rubs me the wrong way. this book is NOT Biblical in it's portrayal of the Trinity. it is not Biblical in it's portrayal of God. is God a loving God? yes. does this book tell us an attribute of the Triune God that isn't already talked about in the Bible? no. no way, shape or form. it can be enjoyed for it's "story" but i don't get how christians are falling over backwards raving about the "biblical truths" within. enlighten me.

Candace said...

I agree with you, Josh that it's not some new revelation about God's attributes that the Bible doesn't talk about. I definitely don't take it as scripture. Or even as some kind of "enhancement" to the Word. It is just literature. I think some people kind of take for granted that it's all exactly based on scripture. I didn't check everything against the word, but I can say I really liked it for the way it helped me to remember that God doesn't fit into any box I put him in. What rang true for me was how it portrayed the Trinity as personal and relational. It made that more tangible for me instead of it being just an abstract idea. That's why I liked it so much. Anything that helps me to want to draw closer to a personal Father is good. Becky's right. You have to read it with a grain of salt.

Amy said...

I am currently reading "The Shack" I really like it. Although fictional, I am more amazed and awe struck by God. It is fun to read. Like Becky, I found my self appreciating the love of God. After reading I am spending time in the Bible, in prayer, and in thought of God.