Friday, April 25, 2008

blogging 101


as we sat in the airport terminal, dan lance and I conversed about 'blog life' ...

as most of you know, I'm new to the blog world ... I lost my blog virginity a few months ago ... my wife and dan lance pressured me into it ... I can't say no ...

dan lance is one of the greatest bloggers ever ... so, I asked dan lance, what makes a great blog? ... why are some blogs so 'captivating,' while others leave you 'bored' and 'depressed?' ... how come some blogs 'rake in' the comments, while other blogs seem to be a waste of cyberspace? ... how come some blogs move your heart, while others give you a headache? ... and the questions go on ...

and so, from my conversation with dan lance, here are the key ingredients for a great blog: (please feel free to adapt for personal usage and blogging)

1)  a great blog must always include an endearing reference to one's spouse ... such as, "I love my wife," or "my husband is very romantic," or "my wife is the best cook ever, I love her enchiladas" ... and if you're not married, blogs must include an endearing reference to a parent or perhaps a teacher ... "my mom is friendly," or "I would never be who I am today without my third grade teacher" ...
  
2)  a great blog must include pictures ... especially pictures of children, family outings, adoption, weddings and/or a homeless person (preferably holding a sign) ...

3)  a great blog must always mention Jesus, God, church or life group ... for example, "church was amazing Sunday night," or "when our pastor Nathan talked about greed tonight, it really rocked me," or simply, "I love Jesus" ... this always works ... 
 
4)  a great blog must always includes a list ... people are drawn to lists ... (I'm not sure why: ask Dan) ...

5)  a great blog is a daily blog ... to quote my friend dan lance, "the greatest bloggers blog daily" ... in the early years, it was difficult for dan lance to find time to blog daily ... but now, dan lance blogs at least 4 times a day ...

I hope this is helpful ... as dan lance always says, "if you aren't blogging, you aren't living!" ...  

4 comments:

Tyler Faires said...

out of all of that all i got was it looks like that homeless person in the picture is holding a cell phone. HAHA.

Shannon said...

I think Pastor Nathan hands out ammo to everyone to shoot certain professors.

I think Pastor Nate has a great Church

I think it would be great to see Pastor Nate when I come to Redding

I think it's weird that I am calling you pastor Nate.

I think your blogs are hilarious and I always feel inspired to comment!

Anna said...

Well I'm 2 for 5, guess that's why no one ever comments on my blogs! I will try to do better Nathan. :)

Bella @ Lil Daisies said...

6) If someone famous links to your blog...I am still waiting to find someone famous! :-) Been fun to read your blog!