Thursday, June 26, 2008

punch me in the neck ...


after work, my family and I jumped in the Mirage and drove to Sacramento ... we spent the evening with my folks ... and watched that movie Jumper ... I think it's based on a true story ...

anyways, tomorrow we drive to Lake Tahoe for Pete and Jamie's wedding ... wedding's are so stressful ... there's so much tension ... everyone's freaking out about something or upset at someone ... I love it ...

I'm not counting, but I think this is my 27th wedding ... I get around ... and I've seen some crazy wedding drama ... fist fights ... drunk mother 'n laws ... crazy brides ... weird stuff ...

a couple of years ago, I almost tackled the groom during the ceremony ... this guy was an $^%ho%$ ... yep, please forgive me for my crazy midnight language ... seriously, I almost punched him in the neck ... but instead, I told him to kiss his bride and I pronounced them husband and wife ... seemed like the better option at the time ...

over the next year, my goal is to attend a few weddings ... (of people I don't know) ... I just want to show up and hang out in the crowd ... I know it sounds creepy, but I need some wedding inspiration ... after doing so many weddings, I need some new ideas ... I need to get the 'matrimonial juices' flowing ... I mean, how many times can you talk to a couple from Ephesians 5 ... we've all heard that 'submission' message ... or 1st Corinthians 13 ... yeah, yeah, love is kind and patient and all that stuff ...

I want to change it up ... at my next wedding, I want to talk about Jacob deceiving his father, or Moses and the burning bush, or when Elisha calls down a curse from heaven, and God sends 2 bears from the woods to maul 24 high school students from bethel ...

no one ever talks about that stuff at weddings ... it's always unconditional love and covenant and commitment ... and then the pastor holds up the ring and says something like, "the ring is a symbol unconditional love ... it's round and it has no beginning and no end" ... and everyone nods and pretends to be shocked about this ... as if they never noticed that the ring was round before ... if I ever hold up the ring and remind people that it's round and then talk about God, please run up on stage and punch me in the neck ...

over all, I'm excited about this weekend ... Pete and Jamie are amazing ... and this should be the best 'tahoe' wedding ever ... mainly because my mom is the coordinator ...

8 comments:

JUAN said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Steve Swinburne said...

How about a message about Ananias and Sapphira and how important honesty and generosity are in marriage. You could always work in a threat and tell them if they don't tithe to the Stirring God will strike them dead.

sarah said...

Well, next year when Matt and I have our huge vow renewal ceremony/party for our 10th anniversary...you can just stand there with your mohawk hair and smile...or do the magnum...which ever you prefer!

Unknown said...

just make sure and avoid that Devils Juice while you're in Tahoe...I hear they have it there.

JUAN said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Here is a good book by Peter Leithart:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1591280370?ie=UTF8&tag=leithartcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1591280370

It is 14 wedding sermons...just plagiarize, no one will know. Just kidding! :-)

Emily Faulknor said...

For our wedding, we asked the pastor to deliver a message from Matthew 5. It was awesome, that message still gets me today when I watch our video. Branch out, be the daring Nate-with-the-mohawk pastor that you are. :)

JUAN said...

I guess my bears mawing children comment was to graphic.....