Friday, June 20, 2008

the new Coldplay ...


after Greek class, I strolled into the office to check my email ... Dan Lance met me with a grin ... holding in his hands, yep, the new Coldplay Album ... Viva la Vida ... which I think means 'this isn't our best album' in spanish ... my wife is hispanic ...

I'm a huge Coldplay fan ... in fact last year, my wife and I saw U2, Josh Groban and Coldplay live in concert ... (not together, that would be really weird) ... and Coldplay blew the others out of the water like an old Pirate ship (sorry Dan) ... and here were the rankings ...

U2 ... amazing ...
Josh Groban ... handsome young man ... vocal chords of steel ...
Coldplay ... better than Josh Groban singing a duet with Bono ...

anyways, I've been looking forward to this new Coldplay album ... as a family, we listened to it over dinner ... I think Garrett Viggers filled in on the hammer dulcimer ... seriously, at least two songs featured the dulcimer ... I'm picturing Garrett Viggers with his dulcimer and his green crocs, laying down tracks with Chris Martin ... beautiful ...

anyways, I'm a bit disappointed ... I guess some albums just grow on you ... like Josh Groban ...

11 comments:

Trevor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rev rock said...

I think you're on drugs. Keep listening. And that U2 comment was the unpardonable sin. We can no longer work together. I'm movin' back to socal. Better get someone quick to speak this weekend!

Josh H. said...

dan, you and the fam can stay with us!

JUAN said...

I'm with you Nate, but even a step more.... I like U2 but they are overrated. Coldplay had a few good songs, but what else can you do with 3 piece band.. look at Greenday.. Or even Muse for that matter.. wait........... Muse knows what to do..

Josh H. said...

u2 has never been overrated. they are excellent and deserve every bit of acclaim they get. they are the greatest rock band of all time. :)

Anonymous said...

Nathan... First off... Sigur Ros will make Coldplay sound like the Doodlebots (if you dont know who they are, Google them) Second... X&Y sounded just like Rush of blood.. which sounded like Parachutes - dont get me wrong, they were all stellar Albums, however... If they didnt change it up it would become stale. Besides, when was the last time you heard strings as good as those on Viva in a pop record? ... it will grow on you..
P.s.
Have you heard the new Sigur Ros?... if you dont like the change that Coldplay pulled... then you might hate the new Sigur Ros... or it might rip your face off!... the acoustic guitar is making a comeback!

Unknown said...

Speaking of Google. If you google "Dulcimer Coldplay" this page is the fifth hit. Not bad.

Klein said...

I agree with most of the commenters. I didn't totally like the album the first time around. After listening to it three times in rank it behind Rush of Blood and better than X and Y.

trisha loves to paint said...

nate...it's an epic album. you should keep listening and re-write this blog!
its has brilliant momentum, symphonies layered upon symphonies and solidly poetic lyrics.
love you anyways.

Shannon said...

I LOVE THIS ALBUM....keep listening!

Klein said...

Coverdale,
the fact that you know about a group called the Doodlebots makes me question your taste in music.

haha