Friday, June 6, 2008

disneyland story ...


this summer, we're taking our family to Disneyland ... we can't wait ... every night, the girls ask me questions about Disneyland ... about the Pirates of the Caribbean ... Tinkerbell flying from the mountain ... the Magical Disney Castle ... Disneyland is a drug and I'm addicted ...

when we were young, my father would take us 3 boys to Disneyland ... we'd wake up early and be the first ones in the park ... we'd wait on Main Street for the rope cutting where they let us into the park ... and everyone makes a mad dash for their favorite ride ...

for us, it's all about Star Tours ... and so we'd wait at the front of that line for an hour until that magical moment when they cut the rope ... I'm standing there with my father and Jeremy and Benji ... my heart pounding ...

and then it happens, someone cuts the rope and music plays ... and we're off ... a mad dash toward Fantasy Land ...

but this particular year, my brother Jeremy accidentally stepped on the back of my father's flip flop ... and snapped it right off his foot ... ripped the plastic right off the soul ... two seconds into our mad dash for Star Tours ...

my father was furious ... holding that flip flop in one hand ... dancing around ... shouting words I cannot repeat ... now Jeremy's crying ... everyone's running past us ... disaster ... definitely not the happiest place on earth ...

let's hear your Disneyland story ... I know everyone has one ...

5 comments:

KalynRebecca said...

when are you going to disneyland? i'm going in the beginning of august.

the only story i can think of... my sister and i went to dl for three days with our dad on our way back from mexico. my dad and i both had crazy food poisoning, but i still made us all get up early every day and make the most of our time there... just never far from a bathroom... there's no excuse for missing out on disneyland time...

and small world was always my favorite ride as a kid, i hope your kids go on it over and over and over

Trevor said...

When I was two, my mom and her friend took me on the tea cups ride (is that still there?). We got to spinning, and spinning, and being two, I started to do what two year olds do, and started puking, and puking, so my mom and her friend set me on the floor (still puking), put their feet on the seats, and when the ride was over, told the attendant, "Yeah, um... that cup needs to be cleaned up." Pretty messed up.

Unknown said...

I was at Disneyland in the 6th grade....so about 1984 and guess who was there? Michael Jackson and Emmanuel Lewis aka Webster. It was craziness.

Meghan said...

one particular trip to disneyland with the cousins comes to mind. my cousin, Laura, was all over the place, getting into things. (i was at my mother and father's side being a good obedient little girl). we look over to see laura's head stuck between two bars-the ones they have to keep the lines in order. so for about 30 minutes my dad and uncle tried to get her head loose and in the process my dad got his knee caught in the bars next to laura. it was soooo exciting.
one thing i noticed about disneyland is that people look so excited going IN but coming OUT is another story-kids melting down, parents yelling, everyone sunburnt. we'll be there with you guys every step of the way.

Juliette said...

Ahh, Disneyland, the happiest place on earth. Nathan and I are totally Disney freaks. Up until last year we had been to Disneyland every year since we'd been together and we went to Disney World for our honeymoon. For us it truly has been the happiest place on earth so, no horror stories. Our honeymoon was the best because we wore the wedding mickey and minnie ears and were put at the front of lines, given free desserts, champagne everything! We can't wait to take out kids someday. Your family will have a blast!