Saturday, November 1, 2008

to infinity and beyond ...


last night, we took our kids to the Risen King Harvest Carnival ... what a blast ... throwing footballs through swinging tires ... throwing darts at balloons ... cake walks ... huge bounce houses ... hundreds of kids eating candy and running around filled with sugar ... creepy clowns ... who doesn't love carnivals? ...

Asher wore the best costume ever ... Buzz Light Year ... wings and flashing lights ... seriously, he's the man ... I gave him a lollipop and he chilled with me all night ... next year, I want to dress him up as a little Darth Vader ... my kids love Star Wars ...

growing up, my parents were anti-Halloween ... you know, the Devil's holiday ... so we weren't allowed to 'trick or treat' or dress up or bob for apples ... so instead, my parents would take us in the mini-van on a little Halloween vacation ... we would take a family road trip out of town, we'd eat dinner at some Chinese buffet, and then we'd stayed at a classy hotel with an indoor swimming pool and hot tub ... that was Halloween ...

so, while everyone else grew up 'trick or treating' and dressing up like vampire's and butterflies, we were eating at buffet's and swimming in hot tubs ... later on, my parents lightened up and let us celebrate Halloween ... but I do admit, I miss those Halloween family vacations ...

4 comments:

KalynRebecca said...

So cute :) To infinity... and beyond!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meghan said...

does red bluff really count for a family vacation, nate?

An Unlikely Retirement said...

Someone told me once that Halloween is the perfect teaching tool for kids to learn about grace. It's very simplistic, but - did the kids do anything to earn the candy? No. Do they do they deserve candy? No. Did they do absolutely anything for it? No. And it's freely given. Like I said, very simplistic, but amazing at the same time. I love dress-up times....