Wednesday, October 8, 2008

a culture of overload ...


I'm reading a book called Margin for my Seminary class ... someone handed it to me almost a year ago ... I was too busy to read it ... (no margin) ...

We live in a culture that devours margin ... if you are homeless, we send you to a shelter ... if you are penniless, we offer you food stamps ... if you are breathless, we connect you to oxygen ... but if you are marginless, we give you yet one more thing to do ...

I just finished the chapter on overload ... activity overload and change overload and choice overload and commitment overload and debt overload and hurry overload and information overload and noise overload and people overload and technology overload (I love technology) and work overload ... sound familiar ... I just described everyone I know ... overload is epidemic ... it's so subtle, yet consumes us ... we've become a people of overload ...

Why are we always so busy and stressed and strapped and broke and hurried and over committed? ... is this what it means to follow Jesus? ... is this the life Jesus calls us to live? ... as I read this book, Jesus confronts my overload ...

my prayer ... Jesus, teach me how to create enough space in my life to hear your voice and live the pace of God ... I want to be fruitful, not busy ... I want to be faithful, not successful ... and Jesus, I would like the iphone for Christmas ... amen ...

1 comment:

frogmama said...

Hey Nathan:)
Just discovered your blog:)
I would love to write more, just too busy, maybe I need this book too....
I am reading a book also about making the time to care for your soul, hard for me with 3 kids too and one on the way. Hope you are all well.
Lorene