Saturday, May 10, 2008

my sports career ...


yep, I'm an athlete ...

if asked to describe me, I imagine most people would used words like 'artist' or 'genius' or 'friendly' or 'great father' ... but believe or not, I am also an athlete ...

for those who are surprised, here is a quick run down of my sports career ... my little secret ...

1984 ... t-ball on those fields behind Enterprise High School ... I can still remember knocking the plastic out of those wiffle balls ...

1989 ... minor league baseball ... the Astros ... right field and second base ... our coach was drunk almost every game ... I pitched one game ... awful ...

1992 ... cross country ... sophomore year ... friends peer pressured me to join the team ... I trained for 3 months ... I ran one cross country race and finished dead last ... I quit the team ...

1993 ... tennis ... yep ...

1994 ... varsity soccer team ... I sat the bench most of the year ... I scored one goal (by accident) off my head ... got my name in the Record Searchlight for the assist ...

1996 ... surfing in San Diego ... my first time surfing, I paddled for 3 hours and couldn't catch a wave ... not my favorite sport ... though I felt like a man on that 13 foot board ...

2004 ... frisbee golf ... in a tournament, I shot 11 under par at the Kid's Kingdom course ... and I don't even own one of those little gay frisbee bags ...

2008 ... ultimate frisbee ... tuesday nights ...

and it makes me proud to see my son following in my footsteps ... Asher, I believe you can be twice the athlete I am ... if that's even possible ...

2 comments:

Anna said...

Cute Nathan. I was acutally very suprised to hear last night that you are also trained martial arts! I loved the stories about you and Jeremy... you're poor parents. We could here your mom in the back going, "yep, it's true..." Billy and I were cracking up!

the lains said...

nice highlights...!