Thursday, October 9, 2008

spiritual fathers ...

I am grateful for the mentors and spiritual fathers God has placed in my life over these past few years ... they have challenged me and encouraged me and protected me and taught me and shaped me to become the man I am today ...

Bill Randall ... one of the most passionate and courageous men I know ... he saw something in me ... he taught me how to lead with boldness, how to live with focus and how to love with truth ... I will never forget the years I walked with Bill Randall at Risen King ... Bill showed me Jesus and Starbucks ... now I'm addicted (to both) ... I'm looking forward to the next season of our journey ...

Jeff Coulter ... God brought Jeff into my life in a time when I needed a loyal friend ... he taught me how to pray ... he taught me how to listen to God's voice ... he taught me how to wait on God ... he taught me how to enjoy God's presence ... everyone needs a Jeff Coulter ...

Father Sam ... one of the most honest and humble men I have spent time with ... I'm learning Greek and Hebrew ... I'm learning how to humble myself like Jesus ... I'm learning how to love my enemies ... and on top of that, he's a monk ...

My grandpa ... 81 years old and still leaning into God ... I want that ...

My father ... I am grateful for a father who is crazy in love with God ... he always has been ... and more than anyone I've ever met, my father has a burning passion for people ... he has taught me how to love people ... he has taught me how to love through pain and betrayal ... he has taught me how to love the way Jesus loves ... every once in a while, someone will say, "you remind me of your father" ... years ago, I would have cringed ... but now, I take that as a great complement ... (sorry dad, I will never wear Hawaiian button up shirts) ... I must draw the line somewhere ...

may I become a father to others as they have been fathers to me ...

4 comments:

amy coverdale said...

we need to have Father Sam back sometime. He is an incredible man. I remember when he was here before I got him hooked on Chai tea :) he told me not to tell the other monks! :) awesome. Nathan, you are already well on you way to becoming the spiritual father God has destined you to be. know that. live it.

KalynRebecca said...

Hebrew is so interesting... it's great, I'm loving it.

Dana said...

What a great blog Nate!

Klein said...

Nate Edwardson, I father to the fatherless.

-On your gravestone-

good work faithful one, enter into your rest