Friday, May 9, 2008

fives ...


so, I have an obsession with fives ...

ever since I can remember, I count fives ... on the freeway ... at school ... in restaurants ... in crowds ... one, two, three, four, five ... and on and on and on ...

everywhere I go, I group things into fives ... I group people and paintings and cars and fenceboards and letters and words and shapes ... five, ten, fifteen, twenty, twenty-five, thirty ... all day long, I'm counting fives ...

counting and grouping ... do you remember that game tetris? ... yep ... shapes and colors and objects and signs all making sense in my world of fives ...

and it gets worse ... as I count fives, I count my toes (right and left), and I count my fingers (right and left) ... all day long ... I've counted my toes and fingers at least a ten thousand times ...

and I click my teeth in fives ... this drives my wife crazy ... when she hears my teeth clicking fives, she will ask, "are you counting fives?" ... to which I respond, "yes" ...

it's my life ... it always has been ... please, someone tell me I'm not alone ...

6 comments:

Shannon said...

I remember you counting fives....It's a little OCD, but you know that!

Becky Moseley said...

I don't count fives, but I have to have an odd number of ice cubes in my drinks! When Marty pours a drink for me, he always knows to ask how many ice cubes I want--one, three, five, seven. You're not as strange as you may think!

KalynRebecca said...

I count constantly... not specifically into numbers (sometimes sixes)... I had never met anyone else that also counted all the time, until I met my roommate in Tanzania (well and now you...). So from all of this I am jumping to the conclusion that counting does not make us insane (or maybe it does)

Anna said...

2. That's my nubmer. I see it everywhere, and I always have to do things in pairs. And because everyone already knows that I'm a crazy person I will admit that I'm a little OCD about it like you are. :)

West Coast Scrapper said...

Nathan it's called "ticking" and it's a symptom of OCD. My husband does that too. Not sure what his number is.

I wouldn't say I obsess about the number 3...but I can only eat cookies in quanities of 3...i think that stems back to my childhood when that was the magic number my mom allowed me.

B.Rubble said...

Wondered if I was the only one...I count in threes, sevens, and eights. Not sure why. It's weird. I HATE math, but I obsess on stairs, cracks in sidewalks, counting patterns with my fingers against my leg or palm of my hand...Huh.OCD you say...O'well, just another gift I was given...now all I gotta do is figure out what the *^*)@_@#$#^!* to do with it...(five, six, seven, eight..Kick higher Dan like you mean it, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, use your head for something besides a backboard for soccer balls Edwardson lemme see the neck roll...)thats right...church leader kick lines..think the Rockettes..only in tattoos n chinos...